Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Mini Adventures: Marvel is not just for boys

So its not terribly surprising that Marvel is spoken here as a family.  Even my princess loving mini is becoming fluent. 

Mini can recognize the logos of all of the Avengers and can tell you my favorites and why. She can talk Spidey with her brother and her Daddy, knows Thor and Loki.  Right now she has a fascination of all things Rocket.  I think right now it's mostly the cute factor more than anything else but you know, that's ok too.

In the midst of all of her puppy, kitty, American Girl dolls and princess pictures she recently added two pictures of Star- Lord and Rocket to her room.  The girl is developing her own interests and I'm letting her pick and choose.  Obviously within reason.


During our "big summer blowout" Disney/Star Wars Weekends/Universal trip she picked out her first Marvel shirt.   She thought it was cute and well, she's six.  



E decided to wear her Marvel shirt today with leggings and a sparkle athletic gunmetal skirt. it was the perfect E outfit, sparkly and cute with the right amount of spunk.  She couldn't get more girly today if she tried.   

Well, apparently she could. Tonight at dinner Mini announced that she was wearing a boys shirt.  I said, no...remember we bought it in the girls section and it's talking about boys. She looked at me and said "No, Mommy...girls don't wear superhero shirts.  Only boys do."  After assuring her that girls can and do wear superhero shirts, she finally told me that some of her friends told her she was wearing a boys shirt and it embarrassed her.  It bothered her enough that she even told her big brother about it and he was talking to me about it too.

I want mini to be proud of her choices.  I don't want her to feel like because she's a girl she can't like Marvel, or Star Wars, or whatever. If she wants to be a princess superhero so be it.  She is the only one who can decide that.

 
 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, how sad. Kids can be so cruel..... its good in a way this happened so you could affirm that girls CAN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. I think she is good now. Not sure whether she will wear that shirt again to school but I hope she does. I just want her to like what she likes and not worry about what anyone says to her about it.

      Delete
  2. Kids, man. What jerks. Your mini can be whatever she wants to be- especially if she's a superhero wearing kick ass girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty. :) This was the first time I've seen her doubt a choice she's made (and I'm sure it won't be the last). I'm glad we had a chance to talk about it though.

      Delete
  3. You tell miss E to rock on! Girls can be whatever they want to be! Hey, I sport around a Darth Vader shirt and I'm pretty cool ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tania :) I will let her know. And just based off of the pictures she's seen of you so far, she does think you are pretty cool too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor girl :( Sad how some kids can be mean like that at such a young age. I have a 5 year old girl who loves having her nails done, wearing bows and jewelry and pretty dresses. But she also loves Legos, Star Wars and Doctor Who. I love this little quirk about our girls. They are becoming their own people, not a mold of us or other kids, not cookie cutter. We need to get your Mini and my Mini(who am I kidding, she's her father's mini) together, yours can wear her Super Hero shirt and mine can wear her Star Wars shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It really surprised me that it would start in first grade. I absolutely love what you said about the quirks and becoming their own people. It is so true and I'm glad both of our girls are following their own paths. I think our mini's would be fast friends. Hoping our Star Wars weekends trips overlap so they can meet. :)

      Delete